Salty Runback
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

T. Hawk Ultra Changes

2 posters

Go down

T. Hawk Ultra Changes Empty T. Hawk Ultra Changes

Post by Breadwp Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:57 pm

THawk: Hawk has better mobility, combo, and counterhit options. His walk speed buff is pretty noticeable I’d say, so right off the bat his midrange and approach options are better. Close mp, close mp now works on everyone, and close mp, close mp xx lk/mk/ex spire is a nice combo. Close mp still links to cr mk, but if you do close mp, cr mk xx spire, none of the spire strengths are close enough to combo normally, although mk/ex spire both combo after counterhit cr mk. I wish now that I’d tried to combo close fierce into close mp, but I didn’t think about it at the time. Cr lp, cr lp, st lp, st lk xx lk spire combos and seems safe. I tried close mp, close mp xx ex spire into ex dp, but eh, it seems that juggling ex dp there is as situational as it was before.
Spire is safer on recovery too, so for example if he does close mp, cr mk xx mk spire or close mp, close mp xx lk spire as block strings, they’re at least -1 since Ken can’t punish them with his 2f super. Yay!
Footsies are a little better for him too even on top of the walk speed. The new input code for spire, which is dp+kick instead of reverse dp, is much easier to use on reaction against fireballs or focuses or whatever. Cr mk being cancelable helps too. Cr mk xx whatever strength spire isn’t a combo from max cr mk range unless the cr mk causes a counterhit, but that’s totally possible because it’s fast and has a good hitbox on it. It’s also useful apart as a way to occasionally move in. Sure, most characters will be able to hit the spire with whatever their invincible move is if they’re expecting it, but I figure this will be like Ryu cr mk xx fireball. Yes, it’s not a block string, yes, most characters can hit the fireball if they want to bet on it. But sometimes Ryus just poke with cr mk without canceling into fireball to bait and punish whatever the opponent’s anti-fireball move is. Well, same with spire.
Delayed wakeup and death of unblockables mean Hawk no longer gets a guaranteed ambiguous/unblockable splash setup after jab spd. Mp spd, which does 50 more damage than lp spd, now seems like a better option. He walks fast enough to get a safe jump after mp spd even if the opponent doesn’t do delayed wakeup. If they do do delayed wakeup, oh well, you’re still right there. I think I might only do lp spd now if I need to switch sides after, but we’ll see how this goes in real matches.
Wultra is fine for Hawk I guess. His u2 is nice because it blows up most but not all safe jump setups that land in front, and the occasional bet or reaction in grab mixups is ok. But its hitbox on his head and behind isn’t much better than it was before, opponents rarely safe jump Hawk from the front, and delayed getup will mean even fewer safe jumps from opponents anyway. I might stick mostly with u1, I dunno.
I was really happy to see how well and from how far away his counterhit games work! Considering how much losing guaranteed post-lp spd crossups hurts him, I figure these counterhit/spd games could be a huge part of his game in Ultra. I’m excited for the idea of a counterhitting grappler who can chase, I think that should be an interesting take on the grappler archetype.

Source:  http://www.ultrachentv.com/2014/03/18/impressions-of-characters-pt1/
Breadwp
Breadwp

http://www.twitch.tv/breadwp_srk

Back to top Go down

T. Hawk Ultra Changes Empty Re: T. Hawk Ultra Changes

Post by Retpetty Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:24 pm

Faster thawk is scary!!!
Retpetty
Retpetty

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadwp Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:38 pm

His MK being special cancelable to me is his best buff.
Breadwp
Breadwp

http://www.twitch.tv/breadwp_srk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down